Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chapter 2

Chapter 2 was a great read for how to manage digital images within your classroom. It was helpful that the book layed it out on how to store pictures into different folders, by student or topic, and which format to save pictures in. Since school photos will not need a lot of editing or changing, it is helpful to know that the JPEG format is the best to store photos in. 
The one thing that I took away from this chapter is what I feel was echoed in class last week. All students need to have time to feel comfortable and get acquainted with the camera and how it works. Once a students feels comfortable with the camera the end product will be better. Students come from many different backgrounds so it is important to give students a chance to have those experiences in school that they are not getting at home. 
To apply this to my classroom, I find it beneficial to show students different photos and controls that cameras have. Not all digital cameras work the same so it is beneficial to give students time to experiment with each camera. Just like in class last week, a scavenger hunt is a great way for students to become familiarized with their cameras. If/when I used digital cameras in my teaching, this is the first activity that I will do to let students become familiar with the product.
Overall, I found this chapter to hold a lot of good information and was worth the read. When thinking about bringing technology into the classroom, my first thoughts aren't on how to save the pictures or how to organize photo files but it is good to know when those questions arise, I have a place to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment